Startup Legal Services
The Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship Clinic at the University of Maryland, Baltimore is offering the following assistance to UMD faculty startups:
- Patentability analyses for inventions, including conducting prior art searches and considering whether the invention constitutes patent eligible subject matter. For non-university-owned inventions only.
- Students prepare and file patent applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The clinic participates in the USPTO’s Law School Clinic Certification Program, which gives the students the ability to file and prosecute patent and trademark applications while they are working in the clinic under the supervision of a licensed attorney. Please note that we are not authorized to file internationally. For non-university-owned inventions only.
- Students conduct trademark clearance searches and file trademark applications with the USPTO. We can also file trademark applications with the State of Maryland, if a client is not using its mark in interstate commerce.
- Assist with copyright registrations at the US Copyright Office. For non-university-owned copyrighted materials only.
- Counsel clients on protection of trade secrets and confidential information, and prepare Nondisclosure Agreements.
- Draft a variety of agreements, including IP license agreements (for non-university-owned IP only), independent contractor and employment agreements, design and manufacturing agreements, etc.
- Counsel clients on business entity selection and formation. If the client decides to form a Maryland limited liability company or corporation, assist them with filing the appropriate documents with the state, and we prepare operating agreements and bylaws. Can also assist with creating Maryland nonprofit corporations and “B” entities.
- Assist clients with various other business law-type issues, such as permits, leases, and other contracts.
Alla McCoy, MBA'13
Director, Startup Support