BioBuzz: End of Year Update: 2020 Life Science Venture Capital Funding Roundup in the BioHealth Capital Region
Thursday, December 31, 2020
This has certainly been a year unlike any other for BioHealth Capital Region (BHCR) life science companies of all sizes and kinds. Just a few months into 2020, the coronavirus pandemic swept the region, seriously disrupting, albeit temporarily, the best-laid plans of aspiring founders, entrepreneurs, emerging startups, pre-clinical and more established, larger biohealth organizations in Virginia, Washington, D.C., and Maryland.
The regional life science ecosystem was prepared and pivoted rapidly to not only ensure continued operations, but also to redirect resources, talent and technologies to creating testing, developing COVID-19 therapies and progressing SARS-CoV-2 vaccine candidates.
The BHCR life science community has been remarkably resilient and innovative during this time, for certain, despite myriad challenges caused by COVID-19 across VC funding, the supply chain, and clinical trials, to name just a few.
Despite all of the tumult and turmoil, VC funding deals are still getting done in the BHCR, though perhaps currently on a slightly slower pace and scale.
The list highlights several UM Ventures-affiliated companies, including:
- VisiSonics Raises $3.5M for 3D Sound Technology (Maryland Momentum Fund portfolio company)
- N5 Sensors, Inc. Closes $1M in Funding (Maryland Momentum Fund portfolio company)
- miRecule Receives $250K from MMF Adds to $3.5M Funding Tally (Maryland Momentum Fund portfolio company)
- Protaryx™ Medical Announces $8.3M in Funding (UM Ventures investment portfolio company)
- Pathotrak Closes $1.2M Seed Round (Maryland Momentum Fund portfolio company)
- ARMR Systems Raises $750K in Seed Funding (Maryland Momentum Fund portfolio company and UM BioPark tenant)
See the full list and read the story at BioBuzz.io.