The UM Ventures initiative includes several programs that are shaped to advance technology development and new venture creation. A cadre of industry experts using new funding resources are building high level engagement with investigators and industry leaders.
- Site Miners - an initiative of UM Ventures is the Site Miners Program. Senior faculty from each institution are appointed to 'mine" and advance promising collaborative commercial ideas and opportunities than otherwise may be overlooked. They work along-side the tech transfer officer to assemble inter-disciplinary teams to rapidly move ideas with strong commercial potential forward. Clinicians are being 'matched' with engineers to develop promising schematics and prototypes of promising medical device, diagnostics and therapeutics. Contact us for more details on how to work with our Site Miners.
- Entrepreneurs in Residence - a bench of contractor with private sector industry targeted expertise who review business plans, assist with funding proposals, develop market strategies and find management talent for new ventures.
- New Ventures Office - Seasoned industry experts spearhead UM Ventures' efforts to launch new start ups and support existing startups develop strong, de-risked, and well-capitalized companies. Contact Rana Quraishi, PhD
- Maryland Innovation Initiative
- Seed Grants - UM Ventures' faculty grant program to explore specific commercial applications for pre-commercial research. Funds can be used to develop prototypes or run studies for example. Contact Phil Robilotto for more information.
Loans and Equity Investments : - The fund provides both equity investments and/or loans to UM Ventures startups who are establishing headquarters in Maryland. These funds are targeted to help attract high-quality entrepreneurs to leadership positions.
- Icorps – leveraging a three-year NSF grant, one of five programs in the country, an intensive program to help student and faculty entrpeneurs bring their discoveries to market, led by Dean Chang. Learn more.
- Capstone – guiding inter-disciplinary teams of students from multiple schools to develop products, business plans and legal and regulatory strategies for promising business opportunities.
- Medimunne Partnership :
UMVentures and MedImmune (AstraZeneca’s global biologics research and development arm) have entered into a five-year, $6 million collaboration to drive novel bioscience research in the state of Maryland. MedImmune and UM Ventures contribute funding for joint research projects, and will provide opportunities for scientific exchange and educational training between each other’s scientists, students and post-doctoral fellows. The University of Maryland, Baltimore County is also an integral member of the collaboration.
The research projects are focused on MedImmune’s core therapeutic areas: cardiovascular and metabolic disease; oncology; respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity; and infectious disease. The collaboration will extend to MedImmune’s biologics and AstraZeneca’s small molecule portfolios.